Recently, I have been blogging my own ‘doorstep adventures’. These adventures are just that, a trip or outing that started from my own front door (and I don’t mean loading up the car…!). It was partly inspired by three thing;
- Alistair Humphreys and his ‘micro-adventures’, whereby he gives himself 24 hours to leave the office or home, sleep wild for the night and explore!
- Patagonia’s ‘back-yard adventures’. Similar setup to the above, but as its in the USA, its on a larger scale
- My own shift in attitude. I’m a great believer in buying an Ordnance Survey map of your own area and getting out and exploring it.
List of blogs that I follow
- Alistair Humphreys-Cycled around the world in 3 years (also journalist), adventurer (sailing, rafting, travelling, walking a length of a motorway etc etc) and now a ‘micro-adventures’ innovator. He’s also a hero of mine!
- Patagonia clothing company-ran by a reluctant business man, an inspiring man, Yvonne Chouinard is a climber, fisher and surfer and as such, now runs his company to cater to these needs. I guess you could add environmentalist to the list also. Their company’s sister website shows all the adventures that ‘they’ have had
- Cass Gilbert, cyclist, adventurer and journalist. I’ve read much of his published work, and it always puts me in the mood for packing my bike up and heading out touring.
- A cycling blog from Newfoundland, has a good mix of fat-biking and bike-packing
- Dr Jon! Good source of information on Jones’ bikes and Scotland. Also willing to modify bike parts that he thinks he can improve on (i.e he took a hacksaw to a pair of XTR pedals to improve the design!)
- CJ, Tour Divide rider and it would seems, an eccentric!
- Glenn Charles, a recent discovery. Stunning pictures (think big B+W photography)
- My own photo blog can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodoo_simon/
- Lastly, Jack Lewin-A close friend who I’ve shared many (mis)adventures with and who is planning on cycling around the world (I’ll be very jealous!!!). Also climber and skier who is currently residing in North Wales and happens to right a good blog too!